How to Import Data into the PIM using Microsoft Excel
Jasper PIM is capable the seamless import of data from Microsoft Excel. This tutorial will guide you through the steps to successful transfer your data! In order to ensure data integrity, it is vital to follow these steps when working with MS Excel.
If you are performing a bulk edit from existing PIM data, select a profile or create one using the information outlined in this article; if you are importing new data please start here to create a profile. The following steps explain how to import CSV data into excel in a way to properly handle special characters in UTF-8.
- Open a NEW Excel Spreadsheet, select the Data Tab, then click ‘From Text’ in the Get External Data group.
- Browse to the CSV file and select ‘Import’.
- In Step 1 of the Import Wizard choose ‘Delimited’ as the original data type. Click ‘Next’.
Ensure that the File origin drop down is set to “UTF-8”.
- In Step 2 of the Import Wizard choose Comma as the delimiter (deselect the Tab check box) and click ‘Next’.
- In Step 3 of the Import Wizard, you tell Excel not to change your formats. With the first column in the Data Preview selected, scroll across to the last column and select it while holding the SHIFT key (all columns should now be selected).
- Then select ‘Text’ as the Column Data Format and click ‘Finish’.
- Click OK to insert the data into cell A1
- If you require work to be done in Excel on your data do so now and then save your data properly
- Click File > Save As
- Choose CSV UTF-8 as the format
- Save the file
Importing into the PIM
It is important to import from a saved file that you have not reopened. Opening a UTF-8 File in Excel will automatically convert certain fields again, requiring you to exit out and follow the procedure above.
Follow the steps outline in this article to complete the import process.