Organizing your products is an essential part of product information management. The PIM offers tools to organize your products to provide the best customer experience possible when publishing to your websites.
Create a Category
- Navigate to the Categories Menu by going through the Configuration portion of the left side navigation
- Click Category Tree or Category Grid
- From the appropriate Category page click Create Category
- Fill in the Name field
- Click Create
Enriching a Category
Once you have created a category you can fill in:
- Description for Landing Pages
- Parent Category to create nested trees
- Sort order of how the category should display on the Grid view
- Set visibility status
- Add an Asset
- Set SEO data including
- Page title
- Search keywords
- Meta keywords
- Meta description
- Assign a shipping override for BigCommerce
- Set if the Category will be smart or not
The first category that should be created is a Root Category that will be used to tell the PIM channel configurator where to look for products. For single storefront PIM setups a single Root should suffice. For multi-storefront setups you may eventually want different category structures for each site. In that case you should setup different Root Categories that reflect the stores or locations you have configured.
The Tree View offers a visual representation of the nested trees similar to how a storefront navigation menu appears. From here you can use the 3 lines on the left of each category name to click and drag the categories in order to reorganize them. Note that if the categories appear outside of the designated root category of a channel, they will not publish to that channel, nor will any product that exists solely in that category.