Attributes in the Jasper PIM are flexible fields that can be used to power faceted search applications, organize data for internal use, or display specialized assets on product detail pages. They are a place to store all your custom data points.
Creating an Attribute
- First navigate to the attributes menu by going to Configuration > Attributes > Attributes from the left side navigation
- Click Create Attribute
- Fill in the Name
- Choose an attribute type from the available list (for all available types see Understanding Attributes & Attribute Sets)
- Click Continue
The Attribute Edit Page
When you first create an attribute you will be able to fill in the following information
- Slug - this is the text key used to identify the attribute it must be unique. Typical schema is the name of the attribute in lower case replacing all spaces and special characters with underscores. NOTE: slug is required for many PIM operations using attributes.
- Display Name (optional) - External identifier. Will fall back to the attribute name if blank.
- Length (optional) - imposes a character limit on the attribute values
- Note (optional) - Internal description/note of the attribute
- Publish Y/N - choose whether the attribute is internal use only or publishable to channels
- Sort Order (optional) - controls the display order on the attribute edit list (can also be accomplished using Sort Attributes Button from the attribute list page
- Is attribute filterable on the product index page (checkbox) - this is part of an advanced feature that allows you to pre-fill search results based on an attribute value. It is unchecked by default.
When saving the changes, you will have two options: "Save" and "Save & Sync". The difference is that the "Save & Sync" will dispatch channel updates for the products affected by the changes made.
Select Box and Multiselect Attributes
When first setting up a new attribute, if you choose select box or multiselect and update you will remain on the attribute edit page and be asked to pre-populate the values for the attribute. These values can be edited or reorganized as long as the values are not assigned to products. To maintain data integrity within the PIM, once an attribute value for a select box or multiselect is assigned to a product it cannot be edited or removed until the values are removed from the products. In order to “edit” these values, please see the following article on Using the Importer for Attribute Values. Add the new value to the attribute from the configuration section of the PIM. Then export your catalog using a profile containing that attribute. Search and replace the attribute value across the CSV, then reimport to edit the values globally.
Markdown and JSON Attributes
The markdown attribute stores markdown formatted text. The JSON attribute stores JSON formatted as text. These attributes follow special publication rules as their payload is often larger than the limits of storefront platforms.
Markdown and JSON attributes will push to the warranty field located on the Other Details tab of the product edit page. They are pushed as part of a larger JSON object containing the product details.
Markdown and JSON attributes will push to metafields, accessible via API or metafield editor app available in the Shopify Marketplace