You can restrict view and update access to attribute contents to specific user roles.
Changing attribute permissions
- First navigate to the attributes menu by going to Configuration > Attributes > Attributes from the left side navigation
- Click on the View button
- Click on the "Show advanced properties"
- Select the only roles that will have "Can View Content" access and/or "Can Update Content" access (If you don't restrict the roles, the attribute will be available for all users).
- Click on "Save".
Done. You restricted the access to the attribute contents.
Making attributes read-only for all users
Sometimes you need to make the attribute read-only for all users. If that's the case, all you need to do is:
1. Click on the "Show advanced properties"
2. Scroll down to the "Read only" property and change it to "Yes".
That's it. Users will see the attribute value but won't be able to change it.